We chat to star of Around the World in 80 days
Salford actor, Matthew Ganley is going to spend Christmas at the Lowry, entertaining families. But, before you think, oh no, not another panto, he stars in Jules Verne's Around the World In 80 Days, which is produced by the New Vic Theatre in association with our very own Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester.
We caught up with him to find our more:
1) What do you love about performing in this play?
I love being part of such a strong ensemble. I love the action - the circus, the fights, the elephant chase, the shootout and the fun we have with the audience. The show has a unique spark and inventiveness that make it a lot of fun to be part of.
2) What can it offer those who are seeking an alternative to the panto?
The sense of having been on an epic journey with twists turns at every corner. We bring the audience along with us for the ride and as a result they invest and have a real emotional stake in the experience.
3) It must be exhausting but also exhilarating being in such a fast piece. How do you prepare, in terms of stamina?
We all warm up together - yoga, strength training, a vocal warm up and a fight call an hour before the show to run through the big physical sequences.
4) How great is it to be performing in Salford this Christmas?
I love Salford. I'm proud to call it my home and it is always a pleasure to work at the Lowry. As a proud Manc it's a bonus to be able to spend Christmas with family and friends and to share our incredible show with them.
5) Can you describe how family audiences are different to the norm, in terms of how they respond?
Both young and older family members are happy to laugh and be moved together. The comedy in 80 Days is clever yet accessible and there's license for our audiences to be loud, join in and become part of the action. Also the story of over coming the odds is a universal one that all ages can engage in.
6) Why should audiences come and see Around the World in 80 Days?
You are guaranteed an unforgettable night out. There's lots of laughs, epic fights, suspense, drama and romance. It's the full package!Read More